About St. John's College
President Christopher B. Nelson, Archived Speeches
- August 22, 2012 "I Got It! The Wipers Are Working!"
- November 8 2011 FIPSE Project Directors Meeting
- September 10, 2011 Paper for the League of Women Voters: "The Role of the Federal Government in Education and Consideration of Common Core Standards and a National Curriculum"
- Fall 2011 Convocation Address, "Music of the Republic"
- Fall 2010 Convocation Address, "Liberal Education: The Gift of Humanity"
- March 11, 2010 Address at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, "Whither the Future of Higher Education?"
- February 13, 2010 Remarks on the Inauguration of Dr. Michael McLean, St. Thomas Aquinas College , "Friendship in Freedom"
- Fall 2009 Convocation Address, "The Things of Friends Are Common" (PDF)
- January 25, 2009 Opening Address at Annual Meeting of the Council on Higher Education Accreditation
"Expectations of a New Administration"
- January 22, 2009 Great Lives: Biographical Approach to History Series Lecture given at University of Mary Washington
The Trials and Death of Socrates
- October 8, 2008 CATO Institute Remarks "Concerning Charles Murray's Real Education"
- Fall 2008 Convocation Address, "The Republic of St. John's"
- Fall 2007 Convocation Address, "The Gift of the Gadfly" (PDF)
- Fall 2006 Convocation Address, "The Sting of the Torpedo Fish" (PDF)
- January 2006 Convocation Address, "Water Water Everywhere" (PDF)
- January 2005 Convocation Address, "Who Am I?" (PDF)
- Fall 2004 Convocation Address, "Beginnings" (PDF)
- January 2004 Convocation Address, "Of Bees, Fish and Cannibals" (PDF)
- Fall 2003 Convocation Address, "Homer and the Power of Men That Have Chests" (PDF)
- November 2007 - "The Relevance of a Liberal Education in the 21st Century ... And Beyond!"
Keynote Address of Christopher B. Nelson, President of St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland at a Colloquium at the University of Mary Washington on the Future of Liberal Education, November 5, 2007.
- Remarks to the Cato Institute Forum on the Spellings Commission Report (PDF)
- Mr. Nelson's testimony on "Education Regulations: Weighing the Burden on Schools and Students"
- Mr. Nelson in Inside Higher Ed story: Rules Relief
- The Chronicle on the Republican chairman of the education committee and President Nelson.
Speakers at House Hearing Assail Regulatory Burden on Colleges.
- March 26, 2011- President Nelson's Address to Alumni and Friends in Washington, DC:
The Importance of Liberal Education and the Case for St. John's College.
- March 26, 2011-Unlikely allies: House Republicans, academics target higher ed regulations